Diners are an American staple, well-loved for their atmosphere and comforting, classic food options. Understanding diner etiquette can help make your experience at both your time-honored favorite and new ventures alike much smoother, so in this blog, we’ll review a few key elements of enjoying a meal the diner way.
- Grab a Seat. Most diners have an array of seating and a seat-yourself policy, allowing guests to choose from options like cozy booths, open tables, or bar-top seating. While this is the standard, it’s always a good idea to keep an eye out for signs asking customers to wait for staff to assign seating.
- Get on a first-name basis. A typical diner has an informal, friendly atmosphere, and many wait staff choose to introduce themselves by their first name. Make an effort to use your server’s name if they choose to give it to you.
- Be clear. It’s not uncommon for a diner to get extremely busy during peak hours, so make sure to speak clearly when you place your order. This makes things easier on the staff and also helps ensure that you get the meal you want.
- Be mindful of refills. Diners are known for endless cups of coffee, and some other non-alcoholic beverages are often also included in the refill policy, but it’s always a good idea to politely communicate when you’d like a refill with your server or to let them know when you place your order if you want to stick to a single cup.
- Pace yourself. Take advantage of the charm that a good diner offers and settle in for a leisurely meal. Diners are great for people-watching and conversation, so take time to enjoy the experience and ambiance.
By following these diner etiquette tips, you can help add to the fun and ambiance. If you’re in the Lake Norman, North Carolina area, and craving classic diner food, stop in and see us at Citrus the Diner to get your fix.